Re: Security question: are these vulnerabilities addressed?

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 12:50:51AM -0400, Scott Gifford wrote:
> Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> writes:
> > On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 12:07:23AM -0400, Scott Gifford wrote:
> >> Postgres completely fell apart, and it took many hours to piece things
> >> back together.
> >
> > Did you have a postgres dump just prior to the upgrade?  In what way did
> > it fall apart?  What did you have to do to piece things back together;
> > didn't restoring from the dump work?
>
> The data was OK, but it lost all the user accounts.  It's been a few
> months now and my memory is a bit hazy, but IIRC, the format of the
> Postgres password file changed between versions.

I thought that a pg_dumpall would dump all the users with their
passwords so that when the dump was run by the new version, the file
would be created correctly from the data in the dump.  I thought that
was the whole reason for doing a pg_dump rather than just backing up the
postgres home directory with it stopped.

Doug.