Re: Kernel-image upgrade question

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 06:23:16PM -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 03:17:03PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 04:11:19PM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> > > On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 12:26:18PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > >
> > > Also, have you read the release notes so you know where the bears are
> > > at?
> >
> > No.  Which release notes?
> >
> http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/releasenotes
>
> Read them carefully before doing anything.  Then read them again.  Then
> read them as you do the actual upgrade.

And before you do the actual upgrade:

	Have a full backup of all your data:
		/etc
		/home
		/usr/local
		/var/local
		+???

	Print out and have read the installation manual for your port
	and language.

	Create and test Etch installation media for your box unless you
	have a working spare box to do this.  However, if don't have it,
	in the event you need it, your target box will be unavailable
	while you create it.

The concern is that if something goes wrong with the upgrade, you may be
forced to do a reinstall.  When I tried updating one of my boxes,
something bad happened while dpkg was installing libc6 which left the
whole system dead since everything but busybox-static needs libc6.

Whenever you do something, you need a fall-back position.  dist-upgrades
usually work but when they don't you don't have the option of a
dist-downgrade to get back to where you were.

Remember your friend, Justin Case.

Doug.