Re: How do I listen to radio?

On Saturday 02 June 2007 17:58, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Saturday 02 June 2007 01:38, Ed Jabbour wrote:
> > On Friday 01 June 2007 12:15, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > > Ed says.

>Some Real files play, depending evidently on the extension.  Just tried
> > the RealPlayer stuff at
> >
> >  http://www.cpcweb.com/Webcasting/webcast_samples.htm
> >
> > If I click on any language other than English, ".rm" files are called,
> > and they play w/o a hitch.  The English files, though, are ".smi", and
> > RealPlayer tells me that the file, <something>.rm, cannot be found.  Of
> > course not - it's a  .smi file.

Nigel says.

> I've got the mplayerplug-in installed on my Lenny. The English file opens
> up mplayer-plugin, to presumably use the quicktime plugin that handles
> .smi's, and as you say the other languages use .rm, and realplayer opens
> for them.
>
> At the moment I have fired up that other OS, and am downloading realplayer
> onto that. I had the thought that there may be some differences between the
> Linux version, and the Windoze one, much as has been seen with the
> differences between the Windows, and Linux versions of Flashplayer when
> accessing some sites. I'll update if the Windows Realplayer will play
> .smi's.

> Nigel.

The promised update. Realplayer on Windoze will play the .rm files, but again
throws back an error when trying to play the .smi ones. Says to contact
real.com. That is for the cpcweb.com site above.

Still doesn't solve your problem with the BBC site, or C-SPAN using
realplayer.

Again, could you tell us your geographical location, just in case this has a
bearing on the problem.

Signing off for this evening, as it's getting a bit late here in Northern
France.

Nigel.