Re: How do I listen to radio?

On Friday 01 June 2007 12:15, Nigel Henry wrote:

> Ed says.
>
> > OK.  Installed from RealPlayer10GOLD.bin.  Symlinks are in place.  Shows
> > up in about:plugins.  But, BBC radio is a nogo, as above.  Same failure
> > at CSPAN, btw.  On sites other than those two, RealPlayer works fine.
> > Well, not the Amazon realplayer samples - says their codecs are too old.
> > I use xine for windoze media files - works fine.  Oh well, as the old
> > Indian in "Little Big Man" said - "Sometimes the magic works and
> > sometimes it doesn't".
>
> This is really weird. The fact that some sites work with realplayer makes
> it even weirder. I tried the C-SPAN site, click on use realplayer, and
> Iceweasel asks what I want to open it with, and  realplayer 10 is there
> waiting for me to click on it, then it dl's the ram file, and the
> standalone version of realplayer opens, then the audio starts to flow.

Some Real files play, depending evidently on the extension.  Just tried the
RealPlayer stuff at

 http://www.cpcweb.com/Webcasting/webcast_samples.htm

If I click on any language other than English, ".rm" files are called, and
they play w/o a hitch.  The English files, though, are ".smi", and RealPlayer
tells me that the file, <something>.rm, cannot be found.  Of course not -
it's a  .smi file.

At RealPlayer's site, http://service.real.com/realplayer/test/, none of
the ".ram" files play.

In short, .rm files play; none of the other extensions do.  btw, the listing
in about:plugins  shows only
the ".rpm" extension.  Is it supposed to show more?