Re: How do I listen to radio?

On Saturday 02 June 2007 01:38, Ed Jabbour wrote:
> On Friday 01 June 2007 12:15, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Ed says.
> >
> > > OK.  Installed from RealPlayer10GOLD.bin.  Symlinks are in place.
> > > Shows up in about:plugins.  But, BBC radio is a nogo, as above.  Same
> > > failure at CSPAN, btw.  On sites other than those two, RealPlayer works
> > > fine. Well, not the Amazon realplayer samples - says their codecs are
> > > too old. I use xine for windoze media files - works fine.  Oh well, as
> > > the old Indian in "Little Big Man" said - "Sometimes the magic works
> > > and sometimes it doesn't".
> >
> > This is really weird. The fact that some sites work with realplayer makes
> > it even weirder. I tried the C-SPAN site, click on use realplayer, and
> > Iceweasel asks what I want to open it with, and  realplayer 10 is there
> > waiting for me to click on it, then it dl's the ram file, and the
> > standalone version of realplayer opens, then the audio starts to flow.
>
> Some Real files play, depending evidently on the extension.  Just tried the
> RealPlayer stuff at
>
>  http://www.cpcweb.com/Webcasting/webcast_samples.htm
>
> If I click on any language other than English, ".rm" files are called, and
> they play w/o a hitch.  The English files, though, are ".smi", and
> RealPlayer tells me that the file, <something>.rm, cannot be found.  Of
> course not - it's a  .smi file.

I've got the mplayerplug-in installed on my Lenny. The English file opens up
mplayer-plugin, to presumably use the quicktime plugin that handles .smi's,
and as you say the other languages use .rm, and realplayer opens for them.

At the moment I have fired up that other OS, and am downloading realplayer
onto that. I had the thought that there may be some differences between the
Linux version, and the Windoze one, much as has been seen with the
differences between the Windows, and Linux versions of Flashplayer when
accessing some sites. I'll update if the Windows Realplayer will play .smi's.

Bit of info on .smi's here. http://filext.com/  . Just type in .smi in the
search field.

> At RealPlayer's site, http://service.real.com/realplayer/test/, none of
> the ".ram" files play.

They play ok for me too, as per Ed's post. I tried a video one, and an audio
one, and both play fine.

> In short, .rm files play; none of the other extensions do.  btw, the
> listing in about:plugins  shows only
> the ".rpm" extension.  Is it supposed to show more?

Apparently not. Mine shows.
   MIME Type                                  Description
audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin     RealPlayer Plugin Metafile

   Suffixes             Enabled
     rpm                    Yes

I'll post back when I eventually get realplayer dl'd on Windoze via my dial-up
connection. It's like watching paint dry.

btw, and you probably have, but have you tried the listen again options on the
bbc's radioplayer? I think they work a bit different to listen live.

Nigel.

We really do have the technology. Sometimes though it just don't work. And as
far as realplayer goes, if it doesn't get it's act together, it will be
asimmilated. (darn it. Is it 2 s's, or 2 m's. I can't spell it right, and
both look wrong) (perhaps it's 2 s's , and 2 m's)