Re: Etch: network won't work

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 08:49:03PM +1000, Robert S wrote:
> > what do you get from
> > dmesg | grep -i eth
>
> 8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.27
> eth0: RealTek RTL8139 at 0x1000, 00:40:f4:35:60:e0, IRQ 11
> eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139C'
>
> It might be of interest that I used mondo/mindi to create and restore the
> backup.  My installation was recently upgraded from Sarge.

huh. so why the heck does it claim the device doesn't exist? (I know,
this was your original question). Sorry, you got me.

So you did a bare-metal restore from one system onto another system
with largely similar hardware as a test, and now the net doesn't
work. I can only guess that somehow there is some minor hardware
difference conflicting with whatever is going on in your boot
seqquence from the original box. Maybe try rebuilding your initrd's on
the new box and see what that does? just a shot in the dark