Re: console keymap and console-setup

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 19:34:10 +0000, Tyler Smith wrote:
> On 2007-05-30, Mumia W.. <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam AT earthlink.net> wrote:
> > On 05/30/2007 11:26 AM, Tyler Smith wrote:
> >>
> >> [...] I copied the custom keymap to /etc/console-setup/ and
> >> rebooted, but it still doesn't load. It works when I run
> >> /etc/console-setup/boottime.kmap.gz, but I have to do that manually
> >> for each boot.
> >>

> > Perhaps you could create a custom startup script in /etc/init.d/ that
> > sets up your keyboard. Naturally, you'd also have to use update-rc.d to
> > ensure that the script is run in the right run-levels.
> >

> I suppose I could, but I'm still confused as to how this is supposed
> to work. The boot process must be loading a keymap at some point, but
> it's clearly not getting it from console-setup, or keymaps.sh. Rather
> than write a new script to over-ride the default keymap, there should
> be a way to select a different default? The documentation for
> console-select suggests this is true, but provides no details.

I think that in the end console-setup uses the definitions in
/etc/default/console-setup, which have a syntax similar to the keyboard
section in xorg.conf, e.g.

XKBMODEL=""
XKBLAYOUT="es"
XKBVARIANT="nodeadkeys"
XKBOPTIONS="lv3:ralt_switch"

Can you achieve your custom keyboard layout like that? (The above works
for me, but I never tried any fancy stuff with console-setup's keyboard
layouts.)

          Florian   |