Re: grub

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 01:42:19PM +0000, bobsetch@comcast.net wrote:
> I'm still a linux newbie and I've gone from bad to worst. I used to have a working etch system but in an attempt to get my printer working I reinstalled etch several times and when it reboots it comes up in grub instead of the gnome desktop. Any ideas out there?

if you are seeing a GRUB prompt after booting, then that is just the
bootloader and your /boot/grub/menu.lst has gotten hosed. you'll have
to boot it manually. please substitute appropriate information as
needed.

grub> root (hd0,0)

this assumes your boot partition is the first partition on the first
drive.

grub> kernel /vmlinux<tab><tab>

this will give you a tab completed list of kernels. you'll have to put
in a couple things like root=<real root> etc. here's mine.

grub> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-k7 root=/dev/hda2 ro vga=791

this will load the kernel

grub> initrd /initrd.img-2.6.18-4-k7

this should match the kernel number...

grub> boot

will boot the system. once you're up, then as root run 'update-grub'
to fix that up.