Re: How do I listen to radio?

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 01:08:42AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/30/07 19:28, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

> >It does seem overkill to turn on a computer, tie up one's phone line,
> >and perhaps pay for bandwidth
>
> Sssshhhhh, geeks like technological overkill!!!!

Actually, I'm a geek and get a perverse thrill out of technological
underkill.  For example, calculating e on a 486.  Since Etch, the 486
has had to switch to BSD; I just haven't decided which one.

> >                              when one can turn on the shortwave and
> >listen to stations from all over the world.  It was especially
> >satisfying two years ago to hook my shortwave up to my 486 and pull in
> >weather faxes for the north atlantic while miles away from a phone line.
>
> What's the best way to make such a connection?

I connected the headphone jack of my shortwave to the line in on the
soundcard, tune the radio to halifax, and use hamfax to grab the fax.
It took a little tweaking of the radio but it came in nice and clear.

Doug.