Re: How do I listen to radio?

On Wednesday 30 May 2007 19:13, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

> John Hasler wrote:
> > Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> >> Hi, all I want to do is listen to radio 2 (sad I know).  I am nable to
> >> find any way of doing this with out using RealPlayer, which is very hard
> >> to do as unable to find one that I can down load and use on debian.
> >
> > Install streamtuner.
>
> That's really cool! Haven't managed, yet, to find radio 2, but there are
> loads!
>
> Johannes

Yeh it seems great if you have broadband, but I'm on dialup. Also as far as I
know the only way you can stream from www.bbc.co.uk is by using the bbc
radioplayer, and that requires realplayer to be installed, which I have.

I'm not saying that I like realplayer, but if it's the only way to listen to
Internet radio from the bbc, then I'm stuck with it. I believe also that
since many of their radio stations have moved to digital, that you can also
listen using WMA, which mplayerplug-in handles ok. That's Mozilla-mplayer on
Debian.

Back in the 60's I remember listening to Radio Luxembourg, and Radio Caroline.
The signals were weak, and would constantly fade out and back in, accompanied
by harmonics, but we were happy to listen to the music. Quite why CD quality
streams are necessary now I don't know. In my case on dialup, I am denied
being able to listen to this music.

I listen to radio 1 on www.bbc.co.uk/radio1, and don't find anything wrong
with the quality on my dialup connection. Why this obsession with perfection?

As an example. Now and again I go to http://cpr.org/ . News, and classical
musical music. Both are fine on my dialup (low bandwidth) connection. Those
that like classical music are usually fussy about the quality, but I find no
problems with the quality of the streams.

No rant intended. Just some observations, along with not wanting to be forced
into getting a broadband connection to just listen to music, etc.

Nigel.