Re: mutt question

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 10:57:31AM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 11:00:24PM -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> > > Please comment and correct me if I have 'erred'.
> >
> > In my experience (a recent netinstall of Debian "testing"):
> >
> > (1) The smarthost of my ISP would not accept my mail until I
> > configured Exim4 to "hide local mail address", with "visible domain
> > name for local users" as the domain of my ISP ("oplink.net").
>
> What is the contents of your /etc/email-addresses file?

I am currently using

local_sender_retain = true
local_from_check = false
trusted_users = andrew

in my exim4.conf to allow my from headers to remain unchanged in
exim4. would /etc/email-addresses make this unnecessary?

> > (2) The address in the From: line of an outgoing message may be set to
> > any address you wish, irrespective of the setting in Exim4; and this
> > may be changed from one message to the next.  Moreover, Mutt can be
> > configured to automatically change both the address in the From: line
> > and the signature.

This is the part that I think is a problem. I use different email
addresses for different purposes and mutt automatically sets the
appropriate from address for me depending on the mail box I'm in. So,
would I spec more than one relationship in /etc/email-addresses? I
would love to get my local machine's exim4.conf down to a more stock
configuration.

> Yeah sure, but you shouldn't have to, that's my point. Have you a script
> in your .sig file?
>
> I still say that its an MTA problem.

how does the MTA know what from address, among many, you want?