Re: mutt question

* Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> [070529 22:28]:
> On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 11:16:49PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> > What user modifiable variable holds a user's email address in mutt?  That
> > is the address once a message gets sent a reader will find on the from:
> > line?  The x-sender field may need control too in my situation.  The home
> > network has got a hostname and domain on it that not only don't exist
> > anywhere on the internet, the domain isn't even in any of the
> > recognizeable domain tables.  In order to go out onto the internet
> > everything in what mutt would consider my email address for local purposes
> > has to be changed to different values since my account name also doesn't
> > match any of my internet account account names.
> Please comment and correct me if I have 'erred'.

In my experience (a recent netinstall of Debian "testing"):

(1) The smarthost of my ISP would not accept my mail until I
configured Exim4 to "hide local mail address", with "visible domain
name for local users" as the domain of my ISP ("oplink.net").

(2) The address in the From: line of an outgoing message may be set to
any address you wish, irrespective of the setting in Exim4; and this
may be changed from one message to the next.  Moreover, Mutt can be
configured to automatically change both the address in the From: line
and the signature.

RLH