Re: Is Etch Stable is really stable?

On Tuesday 29 May 2007 22:06, Michael Conway wrote:
>  From what I have read in the Etch Install notes, it is actually
> recomended that Etch be clean-installed and not dist-upgraded from
> sarge due to issues being reported in this process. Maybe things have
> changed though.

Personally one of my Sarge installs I'd kept on testing (Etch), and this
before the Etch transition from Xfree86 to Xorg, and had few problems as it
upgraded to Etch. Another Sarge install I upgraded to Etch (testing) , not
long before Etch went stable. Etch had now moved on to using Xorg, rather
than Xfree86, but this Sarge install upgraded to Etch like clockwork.

The first Sarge install that I said was on testing, I put back on Etch
in /etc/apt/sources.list just prior to Etch going stable, but have since put
that back on testing (Lennie), and it's going well at the moment.

I'm not saying that there havn't been problems here and there, but you deal
with them as they arrive, and there's lots of help on the list.

Currently Debian Lennie is running on one machine, and FC2 (which I'm posting
from) on the other machine.

btw. I've only tried doing an upgrade on Fedora once, and it didn't go too
well. Now I install fresh when a new version comes out, and when I can find a
bit of spare harddrive space.

Nigel.