Re: Re(2): sound gone.

On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 11:45:28PM -0700, peasthope@cablelan.net wrote:

> This evening I unplugged the USB headset and
> replugged it in the other USB socket.  Also
> ran alsaconf again.  Now Skype works with the
> headset but no ring sound comes from the speaker
> connected to the Intel sound.
>
> xine still fails to play an mp3 file sitting
> on the drive.
>
> Is Skype the only application where the sound
> device is selectable?  Can the device be
> selected in iceweasel or in xine?

I remember that a few months ago on debian-user there were threads on
multiple sound devices; check the archives.  I've never had multiple
sound devices.  I've also never used iceweasel, xine, or skype.

In vlc preferences you can change the output device.  Under Alsa,
there's a button "update list" presumably that if you have multiple
devices would show them.  I have only one so I only get 'default'.

/usr/share/doc/alsa-base/README.Debian.gz notes that "ALSA supports up
to eight sound cards" but further that "Unfortunatly, alsaconf can only
detect one sound card and is generally a poorly written program.  The
other documentation in that directory gives some clues to working with
multiple cards.

With both cards connected at boot up (to elminiate a hot-plug issue) you
should be able to have two sound card device sets if the modules for
both devices are loaded.  Further, you should be able to run amixer and
aplay on both cards with the correct card parameter.  Once this works,
then its just configuring each application you run to work with the
correct device.

I've forgotton the earlier posts to this thread.  I'm willing to
brainstorm with you but I'll need to you restate what you've got
connetected, what you want to do, and what works so far.

Doug.