Re: libpam-umask and .pam_umask

On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 03:30:33PM -0700, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> I'm trying to get a single user to default to a umask of 002, regardless
> of login method (e.g. gdm or ssh) so that I don't have to update the
> umask in a host of different places. So, I installed:

> and placed a .pam_umask in the user's directory. It's not clear from the
> readme what the contents ought to be, though. I've tried both:
>
>     session    optional     pam_umask.so umask=002
>
> and in neither case does the umask get properly set. It remains 0022,
> which is the login default.
>
> What am I doing wrong here?

The pam_umask setting is only the first possilbe place.  It doesn't lock
in a umask so any of /etc/profile, /etc/bash_bashrc, ~/.profile, ~/.bashrc
or other startup scripts can chage it.  So while pam_umask keeps you
from having to update the umask in "a host of different places", if
there are umask commands in that host of different places, you'll have
to remove them.

Doug.