libpam-umask and .pam_umask

I'm trying to get a single user to default to a umask of 002, regardless
of login method (e.g. gdm or ssh) so that I don't have to update the
umask in a host of different places. So, I installed:

    libpam-umask/testing uptodate 0.04

and placed a .pam_umask in the user's directory. It's not clear from the
readme what the contents ought to be, though. I've tried both:

    002

and:

    session    optional     pam_umask.so umask=002

and in neither case does the umask get properly set. It remains 0022,
which is the login default.

What am I doing wrong here?

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"