Re: Shared apt archives

Chaim Keren Tzion wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have several debian installations and use a lot of bandwidth when doing
> apt-get updates etc. Would it break anything if I share
> the /var/cache/apt/archives/ directory between the machines?
>
> I particularly want to do this on a vserver machine that I run. It just
> seems like a waste to download 8 copies of the same file to the same hard
> drive when I do updates on the vservers.
>

> Thanks,
> Chaim

After upgrading my first machine, I copy /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb
to the second and then apt-get update followed by apt-get dist-upgrade.
I continue the process for the remaining boxen.  This works fine.

apt-proxy looks interesting too, although in my case the machines are
all peers - no local network server.