Re: Shared apt archives

Roby wrote:
> After upgrading my first machine, I copy /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb
> to the second and then apt-get update followed by apt-get dist-upgrade.
> I continue the process for the remaining boxen.  This works fine.
>
> apt-proxy looks interesting too, although in my case the machines are
> all peers - no local network server.

Then apt-zeroconf might suit you better. It uses avahi to discover other
machines and to check whether they already have the packages that it
needs. If no machine has the package or no machine is found, it just
downloads the package from the regular sources instead. It worked fine
on my machines for a while but I had some problems since avahi was
updated, so I am waiting for the next release before I try again.

You can get it from here:
http://trac.phidev.org/trac/wiki/AptZeroconf

Cheers,
Mike