Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2007 #1649

On Sunday 27 May 2007, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
> > This is a problem we have all had, I think. Something goes wrong in a
> > print job, paper jam or whatever. Instead of the printout, one will now
> > get raw data numbers and stuff. So one turns off the printer and removes
> > the job from the queue. Problem is that as soon as the printer is turned
> > on, the garbage continues. Short of rebooting, there seems no way to stop
> > the beast. Restarting cupsd does not help.
> >
> > Any ideas on how to get it cleaned out without a hard reboot?
>
> Method 1
> In your browser visit
>         http://localhost:631/
>         (localhost:631 works for me).
> Click on the "Jobs" tab,  identify the job on the list of print jobs
> (probably the last one) and click on the "Cancel" button.
>
> Method 2
> In Gnome, open the printer icon in the top panel.
>
> (Alternatively, from the desktop menu:
> Desktop -> Administration -> Printing -> Your-printer-icon (double-click).)
>
> Identify the job on the list of print jobs, right-click on the job for the
> context menu and click on "Cancel".

KDE has a printer jobs applet or one can go to the printer control applet and
do all this. What is already on the pike just keeps on coming until reboot.

Next time I will try the fuser -k /dev/lp0 (probably run as root). The printer
itself has a clear buffer function for stuff that it has already swallowed.