Re: CLI tools for checking out CDROM drive

On Sunday 27 May 2007 18:54, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 04:39:54PM +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > The drive is detected in the BIOS as master on IDE1, which is correct,
> > and dmesg shows that it's there on IRQ15, and KDE's info lists a load of
> > different stuff about the drive.
>
> Is there anything interesting in dmesg after you try to mount a disk?
> (the disks you are trying are known to be good?)
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

I think the drive is knackered. I open a terminal, and do, tail
-f /var/log/messages, and after putting in a disc, run in another terminal.
$ mount /cdrom, which is the path. ?var/log/messages gives me a one liner.
cdrom: open failed

and on the other terminal using the mount command, I get. "mount: No medium
found", which is the same as when I try to mount the drive using Kdiskfree.

I have a new drive ordered, and will try and find a new ribbon cable to try in
the meantime, but I don't think that's the problem, as normally the covers
only off the machine when I clean out the dust.

I only asked the question, as I thought there might be a diagnostic tool that
could interrogate the cdrom drive to see if all was ok.

# cdrecord --devices seems to show the drive as available.

I know these drives are cheap, but it just seems strange that it should take a
dive when it's not being used, or perhaps when I tried to use it, it took the
dive!!!

The disks are ok. I tried various data disks, and music cd's that I know are
ok.

Anyway. A new drive should arrive tomorrow or tuesday, and hopefully a few
euros will have fixed the problem.

Thanks for the reply. It's appreciated.

Nigel.