Re: Good video card?

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 05/27/07 00:58, David Fox wrote:
[snip]
Fortunately, a friend gave me an Nvidia Gforce FX5200, has 128 megs of
RAM. This one is decidedly better for the 3D applications (beryl
*almost* works). Although it's not state of the art (I was reviewing
some of the writeups on current, bleeding edge graphics cards, and
basically I was just floored -- those things are practically
supercomputers...). Still, a 5200 or something similar might run you
close to $50.

Make that $29 at NewEgg.

(You don't mention whether this is AGP 2X, 4X or 8X.  This *is* AGP,
right?)

I also vote nvidia.

All prices at NewEgg:

GeForce FX5500 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X card  $48
Geforce FX5500 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X card  $51

For future use, though, I'd buy an OpenGL 2.0 card:
PNY VCG62256APB GeForce 6200 256MB GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X  $60

I run a Sid two-seater and with that sort of setup I also vote for nvidia. And the nvidia drivers (post 87xx) are superb, closed source all that is true.

Hugo