Re: Good video card?

On 5/26/07, Russell L. Harris <rlharris@oplink.net> wrote:

I know of three or four Matrox G550 cards (uses the MGA driver) which
have been in service for several years and perform flawlessly.  The

Ditto. I had a Matrox G450 for over six years - gave it to a friend. It's a
fine card for (mostly) 2D stuff, very capable, but lacks a little bit in the 3d
department, although some 3d stuff works. But for newer 3d experiences,
you're better off with a more recent card as the memory requirements have
dramatically increased for that sort of thing (beryl, for instance),
and the Matrox
simply doesn't have adequate RAM for that.

Incidentally, the Matrox cost me about $65 back in March of 2001 when
I put my current system together.  My prior card was an ATI Graphics
Expression, which at the time I purchased it (1995?) went for over
$300. (!)

Fortunately, a friend gave me an Nvidia Gforce FX5200, has 128 megs of
RAM. This one is decidedly better for the 3D applications (beryl
*almost* works). Although it's not state of the art (I was reviewing
some of the writeups on current, bleeding edge graphics cards, and
basically I was just floored -- those things are practically
supercomputers...). Still, a 5200 or something similar might run you
close to $50.

installer (and the X configuration routine) finds them, and no manual
configuration is required.

RLH