Re: wireless adapter recommendation

All I can say is stay away from anything that requires ndiswrapper, or
uses window's drivers. No need to support products that do not have
native drivers.  That being said I would suggest Ralink chipset based
solutions. They have native linux support, is not hard to setup, and they
do support the Open Source community.

http://3btech.net/chrart80wius.html
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Wireless.html#olinks

I have this item installed in an AMD duron laptop with great results. Yes
you will have to install a module, but like others have posted this is
common and very few wifi cards run out of the box.  You might be able to
find this adapter for cheaper, but it seems that they want a premium for
linux support. I have not had any drops, or problems out of my unit.
The second link is more of a FYI it might be a little outdated, but is
still valid if you need another card, I would look through the list and
choose a card on that list.  Also make sure when you buy a card, that you
know what chipset it uses, as some manufactures use different chipsets
for the same model. Linksys, and Dlink are really bad for that.

Gnu_Raiz