Get Rid of Messed Print Jobs

This is a problem we have all had, I think. Something goes wrong in a print
job, paper jam or whatever. Instead of the printout, one will now get raw
data numbers and stuff. So one turns off the printer and removes the job from
the queue. Problem is that as soon as the printer is turned on, the garbage
continues. Short of rebooting, there seems no way to stop the beast.
Restarting cupsd does not help.

Any ideas on how to get it cleaned out without a hard reboot?