Re: Install which Linux? (or avoiding dirty birds)

Gayle Lee Fairless(fairless@ieee.org) is reported to have said:

> Wayne Topa <linuxone@intergate.com>  replied:
> >The pcmcia slots _did_ work for a week or two.  Got it used from Ebay
> >so I probably was Lucky they worked for that long
>
> Mine is a discard from my son.  So mine may be totally bad.  :-(
>
> Every time I try a card, the cursor on the Windows screen freezes.
> However, Linux might work better?

It's worth a try, but the bad 770 locks up when it get to the pcmcia
section on bootup.  :-(  Hope you have better luck!

<--<snip>-->

> >Not really.  As I don't run Winbloz, I googled for Wireless adapters
> >that ran on Linux, then if the drivers were running on Debian, then
> >the driver info itself.  I found that the Madwifi software worked on
> >many many cards and seems to have the most versatile software, I went
> >and picked a few from their Compatibility list
> ><http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatability>.  They, as of now, do not
> >support any USB adapters.  I have NetGear CardBus and PCI cards and a
> >DLink PCI card running with MadWifi.
>
>    I will definitely look into MadWifi!

Check out the UserDocs on the madwifi wiki.  Very informative!

> >I have had some success running USB adapters on the 770's.  By far the
> >easiest, so far, was a real cheap (< $18) I found on Ebay.  It is an
> >Ashton Digital WRUB-2011i with a Prism2 chipset.  It uses the
> >linux-wlan-ng drivers, supported by Debian of course.

<--<snip>-->

Note on the Ashton USB adapter.  I just installed kismet on the 770
with the bad pcmcia slots, and it works in Kismet!  This just gets
better and better.  I can now remote that laptop and run my weather
station on and send the data over wireless to the network _and_ use it
for wardriving.

>    Then I hope the US Robotics card will work, or I get lucky with the
> Belkin adapter!

You may be in luck after all.

A google for "US Robotics USR5410 Linux" came up with a review that
wasn't too good, but the second one you might like. The headline is
"US Robotics goes Linux" and your 5410 in included in the writeup.
<http://www.ameinfo.com/32533.html>

>    I would definitely be interested in your description of wmaker and
> fluxbox especially if they are Debian packages!

Both wmaker and fluxbox are nice WM's but wmaker has a lot more
configuration options that I just did not need.  All the eye candy
that I used on wmaker, I use on fluxbox. So I just went minimalistic
and kept fluxbox and purged the others.  I have used icewm, fvwm,
Xfce, twm , bbox, and a few more that my old brain has forgotten.  The
beauty of Debian is that you can install all that meet your fancy and
switch between then, real time, and then purge/remove those you don't
like.  Heck, you could bring up a different one depending on the day
of the week, if you want.  Ain't Unix/Linux the cats meow!  :-)

> >The quoting
> >style of this (your) message was, well, different to say the least.
>
>    Ah, it was hand-cobbled.  I composed it in a well-known Word
> Processor (We won't say which one!) and then pasted it into
> Thunderbird.  I know how to eliminate the HTML and rtf stuff that some
> newbies inadvertently put into a message (simple choices under the
> Thunderbird Tools menu).  I put the initials of the responder in the
> lines to allow readers to know who was 'speaking.'  And I tried to
> eliminate redundant wording to cut down on the storage required for the
> thread.  Oh well, here's your chance to recommend your favorite client
> along with fluxbox!

There is, IMHO, only one mail client.  It is mutt.  A command line MUA
that does it all.  There is only one editor I use and that is Vim, a
Vi lookalike.  Have been using them on Linux since 1993 and they both
just keep getting better.

Regards

Wayne

--
Basic, n.:
        A programming language.  Related to certain social diseases in