Install which Linux? (or avoiding dirty birds)

	I just installed Windows XP Professional on an IBM ThinkPad 390
with a Pentium MMX (233 MHZ) and a 60 GB harddrive.  (I have partioned it
in anticipation of also installing Linux.)  Knoppix 3.7 boots on the
machine.  (Would I be able to migrate to Debian or just stay with Knoppix
if I go that way?)  I also have woody and have seen the installation
advice on the installation of woody on a ThinkPad (Yep, I used Google).
I have booted the woody installation CDROM on the machine; however, it
could not find the original harddrive (I was waiting for the replacement
harddrive from Drive Solutions).  Anyway I would prefer to install
something more modern.  The one USB 1.1 port works well.  I'm not sure
about the PCMIA slots.  Obviously the CDROM drive works, or I could not
have installed Windows and booted live Linux CD's.  Ubuntu Dapper Drake
stalled with a KDE desk error.

	I've ordered a Belkin wireless USB adapter (g protocol).  I have
not tested the internal modem yet but would want a faster connection.  I
have a home network connected by ethernet and a Belkin wireless g router.
The network itself connects to the Internet through a Xoom DSL modem.
I have done network install of Debian etch to a desktop over my network.
Are there any special techniques or extra information that I have missed?
I can download iso images to my desktop and create CDROM's.