Re: Complete KDE crash (since last upadate)

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 13:50:22 +0200, kristian DOT mailinglists AT ewetel DOT net wrote:
> ----- Nachricht von Florian Kulzer ---------
>> On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 23:30:57 +0200, kristian DOT mailinglists AT ewetel DOT net wrote:

[ snip: KDE hangs during startup after logging in via KDM ]

>> I would try the following from a text terminal while KDM (and X) are
>> completely shut down:
>>
>> dpkg --force-depends --purge kdelibs4c2a kdelibs-data menu-xdg
>> xbase-clients
>>
>> aptitude install kdelibs4c2a kdelibs-data menu-xdg xbase-clients
>>
>> (You can use another package manager to install the packages again if
>>  you do not normally use aptitude.)
>>
>> Reboot and hope for the best...
>
> OK, al little bit changed after the purging and reinstalling of the four
> packages. KDE shows the same behavior as before, but .xsession-errors shows
> a lot of WARNINGS about unknown mimetypes now. This warnings come only the
> first time after the reinstalling, maybe this is normal, I snipped it,
> because it is to long for this mail:
>
> Xsession: X session started for kristian at Fr 25. Mai 13:47:43 CEST 2007
> startkde: Starting up...
> kbuildsycoca running...
> Reusing existing ksycoca
> kio (KService*): WARNING: Invalid Service : media_realfolder.desktop
> kio (KService*): WARNING: The desktop entry file .hidden/dirfilterplugin.desktop has Type=Service but is located under "apps" instead of "services"
> kio (KService*): WARNING: Invalid Service : .hidden/dirfilterplugin.desktop
> kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/kde/ark.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-tbz2'
> kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/kde/amarok.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/asx'

[ snip: many more "undefined mimetype/service" warnings ]

When I run kbuildsycoca in konsole I get the same warnings about
media_realfolder.desktop and dirfilterplugin.desktop, as well as 220
"undefined mimetype/service" messages. Nevertheless my KDE works fine as
far as I can tell. I think it is time to check a few other things on
your system:

After KDM starts, switch to a terminal and run

egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

to see all Xorg error messages and warnings. Then log in with KDM,
switch back to the terminal once KDE hangs and run the same command
again to see if there are new errors or warnings. Post the results here.
(Use the ">" output redirector to save the messages to a file if
necessary.)

Then run "invoke-rc.d kdm restart", go back to the terminal and run

tail -fn0 /var/log/syslog

This will monitor your syslog for new messages until you press CTRL + C.
(I think you have to be root or a member of the "adm" group to read the
syslog on a standard Debian system.)

to the terminal. Any output from the syslog monitoring? Post it here,
please.

Hopefully this will turn up something.

          Florian   |