Re: Complete KDE crash (since last upadate)

----- Nachricht von florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es ---------

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 23:30:57 +0200, kristian DOT mailinglists AT ewetel DOT net wrote:
----- Nachricht von Florian Kulzer ---------
On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 08:37:02 +0200, kristian DOT mailinglists AT ewetel DOT net wrote:
On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 20:12:49 +0200, kristian DOT mailinglists AT ewetel DOT net wrote:
Hi,

I have a big problem sincen the update on Monday evening, 21.5.
I use an aspire laptop with sid and kernel 2.6.20.

When I tried to login at kdm after the update, after giving the user
and
pass, the kde welcome-screen comes up. The start window with the
symbols
showing what  loads at the moment stopped at the second one (I think
"devices") for 30 seconds. After that I got my backround image (without
desktop icons) and a grey bottom-bar (where normally the kde-taskbar
is)
and a moveable mouse cursor. Nothing more! No interaction possible. I
installed fvwm to use my programs.

[...]

I tested KDE with a new user but it was the same. Then I listed my 3.5.7
packages, I got a long list with allmost all kde packages I have. The
only
3.5.6 packages are:

kde-i18n-de 4:3.5.6-1
ksync 4:3.5.6.dfsg.1-2

The german language package, could that be the problem?

I think a localization package should not have such a dramatic effect,
especially since we are not dealing with a major KDE upgrade, just a
change in the "third digit" of the version.

[ snip: I suggested trying to dist-upgrade again, just to make sure
  that all libraries are up-to-date ]

It would be fine, but I had no luck with that. The dist-upgrade runned, but
had not to install any new packages. So it did not work after a reboot
although. The .xsession-errors gave (me!) no hints at all:

Xsession: X session started for kristian at Do 24. Mai 23:28:22 CEST 2007
startkde: Starting up...
kbuildsycoca running...

Should I reinstall the complete kde packages?

kbuildsycoca is part of the package kdelibs4c2a. AFAIK, it is an
essential KDE component used to build the SYstem COnfiguration CAche
whenever KDE starts up or if the user changes a setting.

I would try the following from a text terminal while KDM (and X) are
completely shut down:

dpkg --force-depends --purge kdelibs4c2a kdelibs-data menu-xdg xbase-clients

aptitude install kdelibs4c2a kdelibs-data menu-xdg xbase-clients

(You can use another package manager to install the packages again if
 you do not normally use aptitude.)

Reboot and hope for the best...

OK, al little bit changed after the purging and reinstalling of the four packages. KDE shows the same behavior as before, but .xsession-errors shows a lot of WARNINGS about unknown mimetypes now. This warnings come only the first time after the reinstalling, maybe this is normal, I snipped it, because it is to long for this mail:

Xsession: X session started for kristian at Fr 25. Mai 13:47:43 CEST 2007
startkde: Starting up...
kbuildsycoca running...
Reusing existing ksycoca
kio (KService*): WARNING: Invalid Service : media_realfolder.desktop
kio (KService*): WARNING: The desktop entry file .hidden/dirfilterplugin.desktop has Type=Service but is located under "apps" instead of "services"
kio (KService*): WARNING: Invalid Service : .hidden/dirfilterplugin.desktop
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/kde/ark.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-tbz2' kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/kde/amarok.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/asx' kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/kde/amarok.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/midi' kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'ark_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-tbz2'

..SNIP...

kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-mpeg2' kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/msvideo' kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-ms-afs' kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-ms-wmx' kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-ms-wvxvideo' kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-avi' kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-fli' kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/kristian/.local/share/applications/iceweasel.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/rss+xml' kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/kristian/.local/share/applications/iceweasel.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/rdf+xml'