Re: Query on adding a USB hdd

On Wed, 23 May 2007 18:12:36 -0400
Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 17:01 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > After all the stories about laptops full of sensitive data being
> > stolen, and tapes full of sensitive data being lost, you still have
> > to ask why someone wants to encrypt private data?
>
> It comes to mind; why all this data is on a "portable device" in the
> first place?

That's like asking, why lock your apartment in the first place if all
the lock does is merely slow down the burglar?

We're not talking about well-equipped secret services or dedicated
hackers cracking encrypted portable disks. We're talking about stopping
nosy thieves or finders of lost stuff from poking their nose in
private email or photos. A properly encrypted disk is a guarantee
that such data will remain private in the vast majority of cases.

In fact, to those that really want to get at the data, a properly
encrypted (as in: unguessable passphrase, long enough key) laptop will
make any other approach than directly attacking the laptop more
feasible.

--D.