Re: Installing new kernal

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 09:56:24PM -0400, Eric A. Bonney wrote:
> Is there another way to install the updated kernal other than the
> automated version that is supplied with kde?  It worked just fine on my
> laptop and server when I used Gnome, but for some reason the window
> isn't large enough using kde and I can't make it scroll, so when it
> prompts me for the ok to continue I can't get there.  So I was wondering
> if there was an automated way to do it either from command or something
> else?

I think I understand:  you are using a package manager under kde to
update the kernel.  The debconf questions come up but you can't get to
the OK button.

Good question.  Normally, its not a good idea to switch between
different package managers as they can confuse each other on things like
dependancy handling.  To switch for a kernel update seems doubly risky.

Personally, I use aptitude interactively.

If no one else has a better idea, use your existing package manager to
install the aptitude-doc-en and read it while you wait for someone else
to come up with a better solution.  If no solution is forthcoming, read
the list archives about switching to aptitude (there are many threads on
that recurring theme) and tackle that as one change project.  Once
aptitude is configured and working for you, and you have full backups,
then use aptitude to upgrade your kernel.

Or, assuming that your package manager has already downloaded the deb to
a local cache, you could just use dpkg -i to install the deb file (which
is what all front-end package managers call anyway).  Do it from the
command line (not X) so that you don't have the same problem.

Doug.