Re: Bookmarks across browsers

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 02:17:09PM -0400, KS wrote:
> Hans du Plooy wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 14:41 -0400, KS wrote:
> >> I was wondering how to keep my set of bookmarks available across all the
> >> www-browsers I have on my system.
> >
> > Not sure which browsers this will work for, but it's quite nice to keep
> > FF on my notebook and work PC in sync:
> >
> > http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/browsersync/
> >
> > Hans
> >

> Thanks. Nice little extension they have there. I was looking for
> something which could give me a single place (on my system) to look for
> by every (or as many as possible) www-browser to get my bookmarks.
> Browsersync aims to give different computers (with Firefox) one resource
> for bookmarks and session info. Also for it to work you need to connect
> to Google everytime!

I know this thread has sort of died out, but you reminded me of it and
an idea I had...

most of the browsers use some sort of *ml to store the bookmarks. Why
not make a local static page with html links to the other browser's
bookmark files. Then you can just point your browser to that page and
get the contents of all the different bookmark files. And when you
bookmark something in one browser it will be placed in its own
bookmark file, but be accessible from the others with ease.

so for example on my system I could have a page in my home called
bookmarks.html with:

<a
href="file:///home/andrew/.mozilla/iceweasel.org/blah-blah-blah/bookmarks.html>iceweasel
bookmarks</a>

etc etc.

If I actually knew how to write webpages, I could probably figure out
how to just source those files and place their contents on one page,
minimizing the required clicks to get to things.

.02