Re: The previous nonsense

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 07:02:17PM -0400, S C wrote:
> It's better, I'm awake now.  Responses:
>
> #aptitude install k3b
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Reading task descriptions... done
> E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.   (?)
> E: Unable to correct dependencies, some packages cannot be installed
> E: Unable to resolve some dependencies!
> Some packages had unmet dependencies.  This may mean that you have
> or been moved out of Incoming

Agree with the other poster who suggests aptitude update and so on.

>    k3b: Depends: kdelibs4c2a (>= 4:3.5.5-1) but it is not installable
>             Depends: libdbus-qt-1-1c2 (>= 0.62.git.20060814) but it is not installable
>             Depends: libice6 (>= 1:1.0.0) but 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge3 is installed but it is kept back.
>            Depends: libk3b2 ( >= 0.12.17) but it is not installable
>            Depends: libqt3-mt (>= 3:3.3.7) but it is not installable
>            Depends: libxinerama1 but it is not installable

aptitude install kde should resolve some of this.

> deb http://mirror.peer1.net/debian etch main non-free contrib

As someone else suggested, use the main US mirror.

> The computer, a Toshiba Satellite A30 with 1.2 gig ram and a 40 gig hard drive was originally dual boot MS-Debian 3.1.  Windows quit.  Who knows why.  Debian has been upgraded to 4.1.  I think.
> Printer: HP officejet 4110 all-in-one  -  cupsys installed and set up according to the information I found but still non-functional.  However, it will copy and send faxes.

Jon Dowland's Debian Wiki points to some information specifically on the
Toshiba Satellite A30. [wiki.koumbit.net/TheAnarcat/ToshibaSatelliteA30]
This moves into French half way down - but its readable.

hpoj and foomatic should do the trick for the HP. Gutenprint drivers
may also help.

> Applications: OpenOffice.org and GIMP.  I also have Koffice and Abiword,
> but I prefer OOo.  Noatun.  Realplayer.  Luckily, Firefox works.
>
> Speaker is dead.  It does work using the live Kubuntu disc,
> but before I screw with the hard disk there are some pictures of my
> wife, who recently died, on it that I would like to back up because I
> have no other copies.  See about cdrom above.

First things first: get yourself a USB pen drive and get those pictures
off.

> If the backup could be done, I have all sorts of things I could play with.   Suse 10.0.2 and Kubuntu 6.10, possibly more if I dig around.
>
> What I really want to find out is not necessarily how to do the specifics, with the possible exception of the cd problem, but how and where to find relevant and current information.  How to type wouldn't be bad either, but that's beyond even Linux.

Now you've given us some specifics of your hardware, the list can get
to work and we'll help you find the stuff you may wish to read :)
More later - I've to get to work :)

Take care

Andy