Re: The previous nonsense

On 05/21/2007 06:02 PM, S C wrote:
It's better, I'm awake now.  Responses:

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
What if you don't explain it at all?

I don't hate Microsoft, I simply think their product, especially the last one, is more like a pointless video game than a serious OS.

Okay. Simple. Just run apt-get install k3b.
# apt-get install K3B
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependancy Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package K3B
[...]

Try "apt-get install k3b" (no caps).

In addition to following the good advice from the other responders, you would also benefit from reading the Debian Reference: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/

You can install it onto your computer using apt:
apt-get install debian-reference-en

The files should show up on /usr/share/doc/Debian/reference/. Good luck.

That was fun.  Should be pointing to...?

#aptitude install k3b
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... done
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.   (?)
E: Unable to correct dependencies, some packages cannot be installed
E: Unable to resolve some dependencies!
Some packages had unmet dependencies.  This may mean that you have
or been moved out of Incoming

   k3b: Depends: kdelibs4c2a (>= 4:3.5.5-1) but it is not installable
            Depends: libdbus-qt-1-1c2 (>= 0.62.git.20060814) but it is not installable
            Depends: libice6 (>= 1:1.0.0) but 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge3 is installed but it is kept back.
           Depends: libk3b2 ( >= 0.12.17) but it is not installable
           Depends: libqt3-mt (>= 3:3.3.7) but it is not installable
           Depends: libxinerama1 but it is not installable

Are we having fun yet

Contents of /etc/apt/sourses.list
# comments
   .
   .
deb http://mirror.peer1.net/debian etch main non-free contrib
# more comments
   .
   .

freenode
On freenode/#debian, I went in, three different days and different times to get different people.  I was told via an MOTD script not to ask to ask but just to ask, if you can figure that out,  a question which I do.  As near as I can remember it was, "How can I initialize an unformatted cd so that it can be used, i.e. written to?"
I then wait.  I have a muffin.  I go to another desktop (Thanks be to the fates that I have some of Debian working!) and answer some email.  I go back and still no response.  I thank them ("thanks for the help.") and leave.  I realize I really shouldn't rant so much, but that's the way I am.

The computer, a Toshiba Satellite A30 with 1.2 gig ram and a 40 gig hard drive was originally dual boot MS-Debian 3.1.  Windows quit.  Who knows why.  Debian has been upgraded to 4.1.  I think.
Printer: HP officejet 4110 all-in-one  -  cupsys installed and set up according to the information I found but still non-functional.  However, it will copy and send faxes.

Applications: OpenOffice.org and GIMP.  I also have Koffice and Abiword, but I prefer OOo.  Noatun.  Realplayer.  Luckily, Firefox works.

Speaker is dead.  It does work using the live Kubuntu disc, but before I screw with the hard disk there are some pictures of my wife, who recently died, on it that I would like to back up because I have no other copies.  See about cdrom above.

If the backup could be done, I have all sorts of things I could play with.   Suse 10.0.2 and Kubuntu 6.10, possibly more if I dig around.

What I really want to find out is not necessarily how to do the specifics, with the possible exception of the cd problem, but how and where to find relevant and current information.  How to type wouldn't be bad either, but that's beyond even Linux.

--------------------------------- Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail