Re: The previous nonsense

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 07:02:17PM -0400, S C wrote:
> It's better, I'm awake now.  Responses:
>
> "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
> What if you don't explain it at all?

I don't want to appear condescending, but first you have to ask the
right questions.

> I don't hate Microsoft, I simply think their product, especially the last one, is more like a pointless video game than a serious OS.

:)))

> #aptitude install k3b
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Reading task descriptions... done
> E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.   (?)
> E: Unable to correct dependencies, some packages cannot be installed
> E: Unable to resolve some dependencies!
> Some packages had unmet dependencies.  This may mean that you have
> or been moved out of Incoming

>    k3b: Depends: kdelibs4c2a (>= 4:3.5.5-1) but it is not installable
>             Depends: libdbus-qt-1-1c2 (>= 0.62.git.20060814) but it is not installable
>             Depends: libice6 (>= 1:1.0.0) but 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge3 is installed but it is kept back.
>            Depends: libk3b2 ( >= 0.12.17) but it is not installable
>            Depends: libqt3-mt (>= 3:3.3.7) but it is not installable
>            Depends: libxinerama1 but it is not installable
>
> Are we having fun yet

I have to ask obvious things: did you run 'aptitude update' first? If
yes then please show the output of 'aptitude dist-upgrade -s'.

> freenode
> On freenode/#debian, I went in, three different days and different
> times to get different people.  I was told via an MOTD script not to
> ask to ask but just to ask, if you can figure that out,  a question
> which I do.  As near as I can remember it was, "How can I initialize
> an unformatted cd so that it can be used, i.e. written to?"

AFAIR there were some programs for Windows claiming to "format" a CD and
to make it available as a normal disk under explorer. I recommend you
stay away from such stuff. These disks are unreadable without that
special software.

For normal writing you don't need to "initialize" the disk just use k3b
(or some other similar software) and put the blank disk inside when
asked to.

> Speaker is dead.  It does work using the live Kubuntu disc, but before

Please show us the output of:

dpkg -l alsa*
lsmod | grep snd

and if you have time (and mood) it might help if you also post the
'lsmod' from Kubuntu.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)