Re: xkb options

* Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> [070521 23:14]:
>>> I've been using gtypist to learn dvorak, and I'm making progress. I've
>>> got the home and upper rows pretty much under control, and I'm working
>>> on the lower row. gtypist doesn't always give complete instructions, so
>>> I'm benefiting (I hope) from Russel's advice, and I have a PNG image of
>>> the keyboard (taken from wikikpedia, before I saw the 'xkbprint'
>>> command explained on the list recently ...) to show me where the keys
>>> are.

I beg to differ with the advice which you have been given.  You are
taking something which is simple and making it difficult.

All that you need to do is:

(1) Make yourself a Dvorak layout chart.  There is no need for a fancy
printed chart; a chart drawn by hand is good enough.

Again, I STRONGLY recommend the "classic" layout with the numeric key
row:

   [  7  5  3  1  9  0  2  4  6  8  ]

(2) Thumbtack the Dvorak chart to the wall in front of you or tape or
glue the chart to the top of your monitor.

(3) Forget about practice.  Abandon QWERTY immediately.  Start using
Dvorak for "real" work -- from this moment onward.

RLH