Re: xkb options

On Mon, 14 May 2007 18:44:12 -0400
cga2000 <cga2000@optonline.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 07:49:15PM EDT, Celejar wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:51:35 -0500
> > "Russell L. Harris" <rlharris@oplink.net> wrote:
> >
> > [some helpful, very detailed typing instructions]
> >
> > Thank you very much.
>
> So how's your typing coming along?

I've been using gtypist to learn dvorak, and I'm making progress. I've
got the home and upper rows pretty much under control, and I'm working
on the lower row. gtypist doesn't always give complete instructions, so
I'm benefiting (I hope) from Russel's advice, and I have a PNG image of
the keyboard (taken from wikikpedia, before I saw the 'xkbprint'
command explained on the list recently ...) to show me where the keys
are.

> As a f/up to Russell's excellent "minute tutorial" .. I would add that
> you may want to find yourself a nice little old retired typist who
> enjoys and understands teaching and needs to supplement her income. Take
> a few lessons .. She probably won't charge you all that much and it may
> as much as halve the time before you can type proficiently.

Thanks.

> Teaching yourself any skill takes a lot longer because you have to be
> the student and the teacher at the same time.  Besides .. things like
> posture and hand/wrist/forearm position are fundamental.  You'll find
> that it's almost impossible to practice your drills and watch yourself
> doing it at the same time.
>
> Just a thought.

I'll have to consider this, thanks for being interested!

> Thanks,
> cga

Celejar