Re: The previous nonsense (formerly why linux?)

> Okay.  Simple. Just run apt-get install k3b.
> # apt-get install K3B
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependancy Tree... Done
> E: Couldn't find package K3B

> That was fun.  Should be pointing to...?

> Contents of /etc/apt/sourses.list
> # comments
> deb http://mirror.peer1.net/debian etch main non-free contrib
> # more comments

I would change your sources.list.  Only root can edit this file.  So, to
change it, press the keys Alt+F2, and enter "gksu
gedit /etc/apt/sources.list" (without quotes)  Or, from the terminal,
become root, and type in the command gedit to start it.  With the
file /etc/apt/sources.list open, change the file to the following:
_____

# the main Debian packages
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free

# Debian source packages
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free

# Debian security updates
deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free

# Debian multimedia
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
_____

Having done that, update and upgrade.  If I were you, I would use
Synaptic for this (admittedly, since I'm not you, I use aptitude, but
when I first started, I did use synaptic, which works well --
aptitude gives very erratic results if you've not been using it since
day one). So, using Synaptic, press Reload, (which may give some errors
about debian-multimedia being untrusted). Find the package
debian-multimedia-keyring, and mark it for installation. Having the
keys will eliminate these annoying errors. Now press Mark All
Upgrades, and then press Apply (see
http://www.opseu540.info/pictures/wl/whylinux4.png)

> The computer, a Toshiba Satellite A30 with 1.2 gig ram and a 40 gig
> hard drive was originally dual boot MS-Debian 3.1.

If running alsaconf in the terminal as root does not give you sound,
perhaps just adding "i810_audio" (without quotes) to the
file /etc/modules will work (again, you'll need to be root to do this).
When I set up sound for a laptop a while ago, I had to use an oss
module, and not use alsa. Perhaps your laptop falls in the same
category.  I would still try alsaconf first, though.

> Windows quit.  Who knows why.

Viruses, trojans, malware, .... so many possibilities.

> Debian has been upgraded to 4.1.  I think.

Etch is 4.0, actually.

Install hpoj.  Check out http://localhost:631

> Applications: OpenOffice.org and GIMP.  I also have Koffice and
> Abiword, but I prefer OOo.  Noatun.  Realplayer.  Luckily, Firefox
> works.

> Speaker is dead.  It does work using the live Kubuntu disc, but before
> I screw with the hard disk there are some pictures of my wife, who
> recently died, on it that I would like to back up because I have no
> other copies.  See about cdrom above.

Sorry to hear that.  Anyway, about the cdrom, as I mentioned in my
crack at "why linux", I think that you should install the
gnome-desktop-environment package (making sure that nautilus-cd-burner
is installed), and your problem will likely be solved.  See
http://www.opseu540.info/pictures/wl/whylinux1.png for how it should
look.  If necessary, you could also install gnomebaker, or k3b (it won't
be necessary, I suspect).

> How to type wouldn't be bad either, but that's beyond even Linux.

gtypist is a great tutor, that runs in the terminal.  Just install this
from Synaptic.  It'll teach you how to type.

Mark