Re: Unable to connect to network

On Monday 21 May 2007 11:37:13 yag wrote:
> Pete wrote:
> > On Monday 21 May 2007 06:19:29 Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >> On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 12:32:50AM +0100, Pete wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > I have tried pinging known servers like Google on both the faulty Debian
> > and the working Xubuntu and get identical results. /etc/resolv.conf gives
> > identical results on both boots. If I ping the IP name (as given on my
> > set-up instructions - 'phone.coop') in either Xubuntu or Debian I also
> > get identical results - 'Destination Net Unreachable'. [...]
>
> I found a similar problem on a fresh etch install only yesterday.
> It may not have anything to do with your problem, but I solved it
> by entering as DNS my router's IP.

OK. Opened up Network Settings. Correct IP address already there. So I entered
my ISPs address in the'Search Domains' box. I can now access a few websites,
but only a few - www.debian.org, and its variations, www.greenparty.org.uk,
www.kde.org.  www.wikkipedia.org thought about it but then gave up. Cannot
access Google, Yahoo, www.bbc.co.uk, www.gnome.org. All come back with the
message 'server is unreachable' but they can all be pinged. Apt still
says 'network is unreachable' and Evolution still refuses to connect.

ARGH!!

--
Regards
Pete Redwood