Re: Unable to connect to network

On Monday 21 May 2007 06:19:29 Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 12:32:50AM +0100, Pete wrote:
> > Just had another thought on this, following another thread. Tried 'ifup
> > -a' to see what would happen. Came back 'ifup command unknown'.
>
> its in /sbin so you either need the full path, or do it as root (it
> won't work as non-root anyway).

Silly me! Of course it's installed and works if you use root! It was late and
I was tired!

I have tried pinging known servers like Google on both the faulty Debian and
the working Xubuntu and get identical results. /etc/resolv.conf gives
identical results on both boots. If I ping the IP name (as given on my set-up
instructions - 'phone.coop') in either Xubuntu or Debian I also get identical
results - 'Destination Net Unreachable'. And yet, Xubuntu works perfectly -
not using the Gnome desktop but the Xfce desktop - whereas Debian - using
Gnome - fails to access the network. I come to the conclusion that there is
something about Gnome that my setup doesn't like because I seem to remember
when I first installed SuSE a couple of years ago I had the same problem on
Gnome but it worked perfectly on KDE. I stayed with KDE. Now I want to try
Debian. I like it - if only I can get the network working.

--
Regards
Pete Redwood