Re: Unable to connect to network

On Monday 21 May 2007 19:54:15 Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 09:25:38AM +0100, Pete wrote:
> > >
> > > its in /sbin so you either need the full path, or do it as root (it
> > > won't work as non-root anyway).

> > Silly me! Of course it's installed and works if you use root! It was late
> > and I was tired!
> >
> > I have tried pinging known servers like Google on both the faulty Debian
> > and the working Xubuntu and get identical results. /etc/resolv.conf gives
> > identical results on both boots. If I ping the IP name (as given on my
> > set-up instructions - 'phone.coop') in either Xubuntu or Debian I also
> > get identical results - 'Destination Net Unreachable'. And yet, Xubuntu
> > works perfectly - not using the Gnome desktop but the Xfce desktop -
> > whereas Debian - using Gnome - fails to access the network. I come to the
> > conclusion that there is something about Gnome that my setup doesn't like
> > because I seem to remember when I first installed SuSE a couple of years
> > ago I had the same problem on Gnome but it worked perfectly on KDE. I
> > stayed with KDE. Now I want to try Debian. I like it - if only I can get
> > the network working.
>
> well, I know this isn't helpful, but its my experience that gnome
> doesn't like it if you mess with networking from the CLI. Its either
> let gnome do it gnome's way, or get gnome out of the way. I don't
> really use gnome so can't give you specific guidance, but I would
> recommend you get all the gnome networking stuff out of the way. THat
> means NetworkManager and maybe avahi too. THen a basic networking
> setup should be straight forward.
>
> The other alternative is to get someone who knows gnome better to
> comment on the proper way to set it all up.

Thanks Andrew
I have a Xubuntu partition that works very well without Gnome but I would like
to get to the bottom of why Debian/Gnome will not access the network on the
other partition. Everything else is great. There must be a logical solution
since other folks run Debian/Gnome quite happily.

--
Regards
Pete Redwood