Re: [OT] Re: getting a new Debian box

On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 10:31:30PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 05:35:27PM -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> > Is the PSU really more failure prone than any other component?
>
> it is my understanding, having long ago lost the source, that the PSU
> is the *most* failure prone item. At least in consumer grade
> stuff. But it is largely overlooked and  probably goes undiagnosed, or
> misdiagnosed as mobo issues etc. I do know that the two times I've
> taken a box into a professional for diagnosing, the first thing they
> test is the PSU.
>
> Anecdotaly, I lose way more PSU's than anything else. Maybe I've got
> bad power and in fact, I've not lost one on a UPS... hmmm...

I have my whole setup protected with a Panamax power bar that protects
all cables (power, phone, ethernet, antenna to TV and sterio [connected
to the computer via audio cable]) so that there is one single reference
ground.  Its power is 50' away from the service entrance and that
entrance is protected with a panamax entrance protector.  I couldn't
afford that _and_ a UPS so I figured that it was more important.

Doug.