Re: Upgrade of kernel fails due to lack of space

2007/5/21, Uwe Dippel <udippel@uniten.edu.my>:
Raffaele Morelli wrote:

>     Any other good suggestions, please ?
>

> With 33Mb in /  there's really poor room to work, and a kernel install
> requires space for modules, around 50 for me.
> du -sh /lib/modules/*

Easier said than done:
'/' has 93 MB used, and 73 of that is in '/lib':
/lib$ du -h -s
76M     .

And when I look around there, it is mostly kernel stuff.

Actually, after the upgrade to Etch, there were only 18 MB left in '/',
and I could already salvage 15 MB. Still, not enough.

what about X?

It still looks buggy to me, in a wider sense: One cannot permit an
install/upgrade that enters a dead-end road. Etch ought not have
permitted the upgrade from Sarge (2.4.27), when it would kind of
strangle itself. (On Sarge upgrades were no problem).

I disagree on that, apt is a package manager and can not guess what you are going to do in the future.

One should not give only 133Mb to / partition where system libs reside.
Furthermore you said this is an old box so what's the need in such a partition scheme for a non production (I guess) machine?

Freeing enough space to install a 2.6.18 and remove 2.4 kernel is probably the only thing you can do.

Uwe

raffaele