Re: Intel 3945 difficulties

On Sunday 20 May 2007 it was so written:
> Good morning.
>
> I have i386 Etch on a HP Pavilion 6305, and am having a real dog of
> a time with the wireless networking.
> I have sent a support request to HP asking if they did something to
> the mini-pci-e card slot so that I have to buy the card from them,
> but no reply has been forthcoming as yet.
>
> Curt-

Typical of the world as I find it, HP has replied but only after I go
spouting off to the world.

The HP Pavilion 6305 in fact does _NOT_ use a standard mini-pci-e
interface. The Broadcom card that comes in it is the only card that
will work in it, period.

I will attempt to return this laptop as defective, and I will not be
buying any HP computer again. Even my Sony had the decency of using
standard interfaces so I could swap out their custom wifi card for a
standard one. Not so HP.

Here is their reply, for anyone interested in Linux on HP hardware:

- -----------------------
Dear Curtis,

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

I see that you would like to know more information regarding wireless
cards.

Regarding the mini-PCI wireless card, only broadcom card that comes
bundled with your notebook is compatible for your notebook. Only OEM
version mini-PCI wireless LAN card can be installed and compatible in
your notebook, other mini-PCI wireless LAN cards does not work in your
notebook.

Curtis, according to specification of your notebook, only Mini PCI
802.11b/g HS embedded wireless LAN (WLAN) card with Bluetooth
(Broadcom, Most-of-world)  will be compatible.

However regarding using Linux in the notebook, I suggest that HP does
not recommend that customers install Linux on their Pavilion
notebooks; however, we understand that some customers may wish to
change operating systems for their personal needs.  HP does not
support Linux on any models of HP Pavilion PCs at this time.
Information about Linux can be located at the following Web site:

http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/linux/index.html

NOTE: Clicking the link may give an error indicating it is invalid. If
this occurs, copy the       portion of the address on the remaining
line(s) and paste it at the end of the address       showing in your
browser until the complete address is displayed in the Address box.

HP pre-installed the latest version of the Microsoft Windows operating
System (98, Me, XP) on your Pavilion PC.  The Warranty on your
Pavilion system does not apply to software not provided by HP and
does not apply to defects or errors in hardware resulting from
software not provided by HP with that system.  Please review your PC
documentation to identify the supported operating system.

If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we
will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Shawn
HP Total Care