Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

On Sat, 19 May 2007 17:38:27 -0500, Gnu Raiz <Gnu-Raiz@midsouth.rr.com> said:

> I think it a little strange that people are calling on the list
> masters to monitor a list that is declared as non moderated, and has a
> Usenet component. Just how exactly are you going to stop people from
> posting from Usenet?

        You do realize that mail gateways can be banned from posting,
 right?

> What part of Usenet don't you understand,

        The discussion is primarily about a mailing list.  This is not
 USENET (I do know the distinction; I have been on USENET since the
 great renaming).

> Whats stopping people from starting a moderated Newsgroup with a
> charter that you want. If this list is so off topic, and useless as
> many suggest then by all means take your ball and start a moderated
> Newsgroup where you can practice your censorship to your hearts
> content. Singling out 6 or 12 people for censorship on a non moderated
> list, just to keep the traffic down seems to be a childish thing to
> do.

> I personally think that everyone has a right to post, and who am I to

        This mailing list is run on machines that are project resources
 of the Debian project;  consume bandwidth which is also a Debian
 project.

        Using project resources is not an entitlement.

> tell someone else not to exercise their right to freedom of speech. I

        Freedom of speech has limitations -- for example, yelling fire
 in a crowded theater, using private resources belonging to someone else
 for your speeches, etc.

        manoj

--
Real computer scientists like having a computer on their desk, else how
could they read their mail?