Question about Mutt

There has always been a thing about Mutt which has bugged me, and
lately it has nagged at me even more than usual.  Perhaps somebody
on this list will know of a way to change this.

In the index screen if I mark a message to be deleted it will cease to
be accessible in any way, and if I scroll to it the cursor will skip
it and move to the next message which is not selected for deletion.  I
have always assumed this to be the expected behaviour, and normally it
is not really an issue at all.  However, if I am in a mailbox for
something rather high volume, such as the directory for this list, I
often will delete many messages.  If I delete a hundred messages and
decide that I wish to undelete one in the middle I may not even be
able to read the subject and use that to undelete.  It is also a pain
to have the cursor jump a hundred messages to the top if I move up one
message too far.

So, what I am wondering is if there is some setting which would make
messages marked for deletion available like a normal message, at least
as far as the cursor goes.  On my screen they are red, which is enough
for me to know what will be deleted.  I went through my muttrc line by
line and just didn't see anything, and so hope that maybe it is
possible and somebody here has figured out how to do it.

Many thanks in advance,

Patrick