Re: A few questions

On 20/05/07, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

On 05/19/07 19:39, Kelly Harding wrote:

> Anyway, I used to have my old HP LaserJet 6L on my Beige G3 PowerMac
> running OS X 10.2. Worked fine till I retired the machine due to being
> too old, the machine that replaced it (733Mhz G4 Quicksilver) had OS X
> 10.4 on it, and the Belkin USB -> // adapter didn't work with Tiger for

Return the Beige G3 to limited service as a print server?

I would, but I gave it away as I had an old PC that took over to give me a quiet Linux Debian based machine. Sadly that died. Seeing as this server will be in the same place the printer could conceivably sit next to/on top of it if the USB adapter works. Hence my question, if the adapter will work then it will save a lot of faffin' around.

This is the problem ("issue" might be a better word) with buying
specialized kit and trying to shoe-horn it into functionality that
it was not designed to perform.

It will be used for what it was designed to perform, but a couple of extra tasks shouldn't be beyond the hardware really, and possibly worth a try.

> Second question is regarding adding USB2.0 /Firewire to the machine to
> enable use of USB2.0/Firewire external drives, which would allow me to
> move drives easily between machines. Does anyone have any recommendation
> for combined USB2.0/firewire PCI cards? I have a via chipset one and
> didn't have much joy getting a USB2.0 drive recognised/working with the
> previous server (dual PIII/500 intel 440gx+ board).

If the DL380G2 has an open PCI slot, then you could buy a Firewire
card.  But I'd bet that the DL380 requires cards with a proprietary
form factory that only Compaq/HP sells.

It has 3 open PCI 64bit PCI slots.  Before buying a Firewire card I want to see if people have recommendations (combined USB2.0/firewire would be better really) before buying and wasting my money on a card that won't work with Linux.

Kelly