Re: Makefile for external

Magnus,

Thanks for the idea--I think using module-assistant is a perfectly good alternative approach.  In fact, your post has inspired me to try it, and also to try the older make-kpkg approach.

I am still fairly new to the whole modules thing, so my initial approach was just to follow the directions provided by the external module provider.

Breaking news--I found an answer to my own question--there was a problem with this Makefile line (but it wasn't what I thought):
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.8-3-686/build SUBDIRS= modules_install

The problem was that SUBDIRS wasn't getting defined or assigned correctly--it shouldn't be blank.  Instead it had to be set to the directory where I did the "make" and where the .ko driver was currently sitting.  After fixing that, the "make install" step worked.

So answering another of my own questions, it is OK to call the "modules_install" target on a machine with kernel-headers but no kernel-source, so long as it is done correctly.

Linux A. Wannabe PizzaPie
embeddedanchovies@verizon.net.invalid
To email me please hold the anchovies and the .invalid.