Re: SU error

Jake & Betty Kraayenbrink wrote:

I installed debian from the live knoppix CD it’s version 5.1. It works great, but I do have trouble when I try to run any thing that needs administrator privileges. When I click on something say to configure my printer I get this message “Su returned with an error”. If someone know what I can do that would be great. Thanks

It sounds to me like you installed a desktop. Drop out of desktop mode and (using the printer example) check to see if the normal printer commands were loaded. Look up the commands in "man" page so you can see the options and try them from the command line. It may be that you were not in administrator mode when you downloaded using Knoppix. If the commands were installed and do not work -- that is you continue to get this error message then check out the permissions. Use ls -l path-to-the-command to see if the permissions make sense. For example, the printer commands should be executable and that sort of thing. If the commands seem to have the right "user" and "permissions" it means everything installed okay but if the commands are not there then the problem is you need to reinstall and if the commands are there and not working you may need to use chown to the correct owner and perhaps chmod for the correct permissions. Check "man" pages for use of chown and chmod. Just play with one group of commands such as the printer group and begin with just one of the commands. If you think the issue is permission or ownership try root if it shows something else or something else if it shows root. I am assming you understand these concepts. If not you will require more detailed help than I am providing. You may also have to check to verify if the group and password files are functional on your system. Again, I assume you know where to look and what to look for.

That's only an overview. Once you have made some checks as explained you will then be in a better position to address details and you can get more detailed help at that time from others on the group that are more familiar with the Debian file layout and computing architecture.

Hope this will help you get started on your problem. I have been watching the list very carefully and there are many people working together to help those in technical need.

Ted