Re: Bloat in desktop environments

On 17 May 2007, Me wrote:
> On May 17, 10:10 am, "Masatran, R. Deepak"
> <masat...@research.iiit.ac.in> wrote:
> > Memory requirements of desktop environments, from
> > <http://linuxreviews.org/software/desktops/>:
> >
> > * XFCE 4:   128 MB
> > * Gnome 2:  384 MB
> > * KDE 3:    512 MB
>
> KDE does not require 512 MB of memory to run well.  That URL you cited
> seems laughable to me; there is no real data, no testing, etc.  KDE
> itself, without actual apps running, can take up about 80 MB of
> memory.  From there, it just depends on how many apps you run at the
> same time, which is true of any situation.  And remember that when you
> use KDE apps, those libs are shared among all of them.
>
> I don't think it would be a good idea to choose the least capable DE
> for the default in Debian.  I think KDE should be the default, but
> that's just me.

I suppose that many people come to Linux from Windows and so are looking
for something that looks more or less like what they are used to.

When I got a new laptop recently I tried out both KDE and Gnome for a
bit. I preferred Gnome but didn't really  see any point in using it, so
I reverted, as usual, to Icewm. This is not because of lack of memory
(1 GB) but simply because it allows me to work without clutter or fuss.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian