Re: etch to lenny upgrade

Randy Patterson (<tech@patterson-pcc.com>) wrote:

> I have changed my sources.list to read as below. I just changed the
> old one by changing etch references to lenny.
>
> My current sources.list
>
> deb ftp://debian.mirrors.tds.net/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
> deb-src ftp://debian.mirrors.tds.net/debian/ lenny main contrib
> non-free
>
> When I do, "aptitude upgrade"

Well, that's probably already the first mistake. If you do something
else than upgrading  a stable version using security updates, you need
dist-upgrade because it enables apt/aptitude to handle changed
dependencies - e.g. to remove packages because of conflicts, or install
additional packages because of new dependencies.

> debian:/home/randy# aptitude upgrade
> [...]
> Writing extended state information... Error!
> E: I wasn't able to locate file for the linux-image-2.6.18-4-486
> package. This might mean you need to manually fix this package.
> E: Couldn't lock list directory..are you root?
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I'm not sure how to continue from here?

Make sure you have root permissions (and enough free space in /var to
download the new packages). And maybe wait with using Testing until you
have some more experience with the package management, because you
surely will run into changes dependency problems more often than with
Testing that with Stable. And, of course, don't forget to install
apt-listchanges.

regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270